To get to know the people behind Look Listen, we’re breaking down our name to see what inspires and captivates our staff members in their free time.
Name: Annemarie Miller
Title: Associate Creative Director
Time with LL: 4.5 years
What are you looking at?
- A combination of period dramas like The Nevers and Outlander and reality competition shows like Jeopardy!, MTV’s The Challenge, Top Chef and Below Deck. Is Jeopardy! actually the catalyst to the global obsession with reality TV? Discuss.
- I’m trying to make my Instagram feed a diverse cross-section from the U.S. and around the world, filled with beautiful art and thought-provoking activism, so would welcome any suggestions for who to follow and learn from.
- I’ve taken to borrowing books from my parents and friends, and recently finished the Elton John biography, Me. Between the fantastic stories, the incredible success, and his delicious relationship with his frenemy Rod Stewart, I fully enjoyed and would wholeheartedly recommend it. In the last year, The Atlantic and The New York Times in particular have been crucial reading for me to try to understand this nutty world.
What are you listening to?
- I performed violin in a string orchestra for a family friend’s wedding a few weeks ago, so I was very recently listening to Handel’s Water Music finale and Beethoven’s “Allegretto” from The Creatures of Prometheus over and over as I practiced. Post-wedding, I am good to take a break from both of them for a long while.
- While I mostly just listen to whatever’s in my Daily Mix on Spotify and all the pump-up jams they’ve got going at Orangetheory Fitness, right now I am particularly into Terror Jr, Strung Out, Frank Ocean, Kesha and the Bridgerton soundtrack. Classical covers of Shawn Mendes songs shouldn’t be so good, but they really are amazing.
- Once a commute is part of my life again, I’ll probably get back to some podcasts. From what I remember of early 2020, I was enjoying My Favorite Murder, This American Life, and Office Ladies.
- Randomly, one of my favorite Formula 1 drivers, Daniel Ricciardo, features his weekly top 3 songs in his Instagram Story and it’s one way I’m introducing new music to my repertoire.